***
The bridge he is standing on was his favorite part of the museum last time we went (in June, I think). He had just barely learned to walk four to five steps and he LOVED this bridge. It caught his attention again and he spent nearly 20 minutes walking, crawling, sliding, falling, and eventually running back and forth over it.
***
***
It is snowing no less than 10 miles from my house. I guess summer's end is now official. I have a dream that someday I will live nearer to the equator where summer's end does not exist.
Goodbye flowers. Goodbye garden. Goodbye garden-fresh cuisine. Goodbye healthy suntan glow. Goodbye utilizing outside as a fit stopper. Goodbye long days. Goodbye eating al fresca. Goodbye outside swimming. Goodbye bike. Goodbye jogging stroller. Goodbye family BBQs. Goodbye camping. Goodbye driving with the windows down. Goodbye stylish sandals. Goodbye smell of freshly mowed grass. Goodbye park. Goodbye feeling my fingers and toes. Goodbye.
Hello indoors. Hello cold. Hello misery. Hello hibernation.
***
L has his first graduate school interview scheduled for October 12th in Michigan. Cross your fingers.
This, by no means, means I want to live in Michigan.
***
Hippo had his 18 month well baby checkup on Friday. His weight and height are in the 75th percentile.
His pediatrician was impressed by Hippo's large vocabulary. This is saying quite a bit, no pun intended, in that his pediatrician is not impressed by much (including Hippo's hysterics the first three months of his life).
***
An example of Hippo's communication skills:
Today I was singing obnoxiously to him, something he usually adores and will say, "MORE! MORE! MORE!" when I stop, when he turned to me and said "ALL DONE!" including the sign we taught him for "all done." He quickly turned away from me.
I think knowing how to annoy him is valuable nonetheless.
***
Recently my mother-in-law approached me about something very serious. She said she was concerned about my disciplining Hippo when he hits. I was excited for some ideas/insights she might have to help me curb this problem. After all, she has raised six children.
She said, "Well, it's just that his Auntie R (age 14) and him have a rough-housing type of relationship and it is okay for him and her to hit each other...because they are just playing...that's just the relationship they have and I don't want to confuse him."
Speaking of confused, I was surprised she was coming to me for advice on how to teach Auntie R to stop hitting. Since 'simplicity' is my motto for addressing behavior problems I said, simply, "Time out is works like a charm. Since Auntie R is 14 that will mean 14 minutes in time out."
Needless to say, hitting is no longer a problem...for either of them.
***
Hippo has a cold and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be the croup. Apparently a kid that goes to the gym daycare came down with it this week. The daycare posted a sign about it and Hippo wasn't there the days the other kid was last week so cross your fingers it's just a cold.
I, on the other hand, continue to be sick. Tomorrow marks three weeks. I did a little research and I am convinced I have walking pneumonia. There's no point in going to the doctor, they don't prescribe anything for it anymore (unless of course you are dying and then they will save your life, if your insurance covers it). And, since yesterday and today are the first consecutive days, in three weeks, I've been able to breath normally through my mouth and nose and I haven't had to use my emergency inhaler at all, what's the point?
4 comments:
Thanks for the great and detailed update. It really helps make up for not being near.
We wish L well on his interview, but if you think Utah winters are bad...
Get well and be well.
Additionally at first glance, I thought H was S in the picture of L & H on the toy. Uncanny, and Mom thought so too.
I enjoyed the update too. I liked the pic of him on the bridge at the museum. So awesome! If I didn't have any kids (boys in particular) and I saw that pic and heard that account of your time there, I would have been very jealous of you. Boys are so cool! Especially when they learn to run. (And I'm not being facetious).
oh yeah-I thought the same thing about Hippo with Luke. Um, weird how that looks like S. And even weirder that mom and dad agree.
Post a Comment