Monday, June 21, 2010

A Conversation


Me: Hip? Do you know what today is?
Hip: Yep.
Me: It's Father's Day. Who is your father?
Hip: Umm...Jesus.
Me: Actually Jesus is your brother. Daddy is your father.
Hip: YAY! DADDY!
Me: Who is Jesus' father?
Hip: AJ?
Me: No, Heavenly Father. He's your Heavenly Father too. Do you know who Daddy's father is?
Hip: Umm...Umm...
Me: It's Grandpa Ray. Do you know who Mommy's father is?
Hip: Jesus has a truck.
Me: I don't think so. Jesus doesn't really need a truck. Do you know who Mommy's father is?
Hip: Jesus has a car.
Me: No, it's the same thing as a truck and he doesn't need a truck or a car.
Hip: JESUS HAS A TRUCK!
Me: Okay, Jesus has a truck.
Hip: JESUS HAS A TRUCK! (repeated 25 times).

***

Earlier in the day I asked him a question that I cannot remember now and he answered, "Twenty-three weeks." I was very confused about his answer, which had nothing to do with the my question, because where in the world would he come up with that? I realized later that since it is obvious that I am expecting a lot of people have been asking the usual pregnancy related questions including 'how far along' and 'do you know what your having?' Of course I've been politely answering, "I'm twenty-three weeks" and "I'm having a human being, I'm surprised you didn't know that already."

***

It is a dream come true to have a child that will talk with me. I hope this will always be the case.

4 comments:

R said...

A classic conversation with a two-year-old.

Catch this conversation at Fathers Day dinner:

Your younger brother: I move in to the clinic this next semester and start giving cervical adjustments.

His wife: I didn't like it when he gave me a cervical adjustment. It was loud.

Your older sister (somewhat red- faced): I thought you were going to be a chiropractor?

Your bother: I am.

You sister: Then why are you adjusting cervixes?

Your brother: Cervical spine! You know, at the top of the spine - the cervical spine.

Your sister: Ohhhhhh. I thought adjusting cervixes would be a bit awkward! And why do people have two cervical parts?

Your brother: Sheeesh! You don't want to hear about the coccyx and how you adjust that!

Obviously your sister has never taken an anatomy class. And everyone had a good laugh.

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

Dad's story above is true. If you think about it, it's super awkward that there's a cervical at the top of your spine and a cervix at the bottom for a woman -- and a coccyx in the spine and there's that other anatomy similarly called a *&%$. WEIRD coincidence if you asked me.

And if the cervical is in the top of the spine, then why do they call cancer of the cervix "cervical cancer." You can see why I was super confused.

What dad didn't mention was how J was bragging about being a "cervical tutor" next semester. All the while I was thinking he was going to be going down under.

I love the conversation with Hippo. SO CUTE! And I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't the last LOL-worthy thing he says. Keep putting them on your blog...

J said...

All I have to say is Hahahahaha to everything.

T