It was the middle of the day and the library was surprisingly busy: several people on the computers and nearly all of the cushy chairs in the magazine area were occupied. I noticed, as I tried to keep Hippo sort of appropriate, that he was the only kid there. Sure it was during school hours, but he was the only person under the age of even five there, let along under the age of 18.
Being socially anxious I grew worried Hippo's behavior was annoying other patrons until one lady complimented me on Hippo's hair-do, a young woman snickered at Hippo running by the catalogue computers, and the young women's male companion openly laughed when Hippo snagged his foot on the burber and face planted it just before hitting the check out counter head-on. Finding that others thought him cute and funny I stopped hurrying about to find suitable reading material and took a little more time to enjoy one of my favorite place in the world. After all, I reminded myself, this is a kid-friendly place.
As I began to check out my things the librarian noted I had a $3.80 fine. I knew I had ample change in my wallet to cover the balance and noting there were no waiters in line behind me I thought what a great time to unload the extra weight. Hippo continued to run around and he found himself behind the "book holds" counter. The librarian, there, began to have an age-appropriate conversation with him until I arrived to escort him back to our pile of books. I apologized profusely for his obtrusive behavior. Upon arrival, I realized I had dropped my library card. The maneuver of bending down to pick up the card and slipping it into it's slot in my wallet took about 15 seconds, but unfortunately required me to drop Hippo's hand. Sensing the freedom he took off toward the direction of the "return books" desk and seeing a seemingly friendly librarian he walked behind the counter and screeched, "HIIIII!"
Do want to know what she said to him?
She said, as if talking to any of the adult patrons at the library at that particular moment, "You need to go back out there." and pointed, with a head gesture, to the area behind the counter.
I was furious. She wasn't rude in her voice tone at all. So it took me the 2 mile drive home to figure out what made me so angry. How in the world would a barely walking child understand such adult language, voice tone, and body language? AND, not suggesting my child is above redirection (remember, he is the child that knows a Mom says, "NO, NO, NO!"), what was so wrong with him wanting to say "hi" to her anyway? He didn't touch a thing, and if she would have paid attention to his body language he was staring directly at her and that he stopped directly in front of her.
But more, I realized that a child maybe twice his age would have been more attuned to her aloofness and felt badly about themselves for their attempt at friendliness. I think this is what really drove it home for my anger. How dare she make a child question their friendliness? How dare her teach MY child that the world is not a friendly place at all.
I thought, seriously, about turning around and driving back to the library to ask that particular librarian if she has ever seen the movie "Life is Beautiful" and if she hadn't suggest she view it ASAP and if she had, remind her that protecting children from the ugliness of the world--protecting their innocence--is important...much more than "employee only" zones at the local public library.
We ended our day of errands at the Olive Garden where the yearly promotion "All You Can Eat Pasta Bowl" is going on. We ate to fill our tummies and remind us, "Don't get mad, EAT...A LOT."
P.S. This was after we shared, from Costco's snack bar, 1 churro, 1 berry smoothie, and 1 hand-dipped ice cream bar with roasted almonds. Oh, boy...my Costco shopping experience gets better each and every time I go.
2 comments:
Life IS beautiful!!! and hopefully we allow the children to help remind us of this.
How dare that lady not make the library as inviting as possible! The library is one of the greatest places on earth, and as I've said before, being able to read well is the most important skill a child can learn. I am so glad you and your sister spend so much time at the library with your children. You will be rewarded many times over for the effort.
Post a Comment