While I was posting my last entry L was fetching my sister and her two boys from the airport; they came into town to visit with Baby and I. And things have been very busy ever since. That week she helped me prepare for Baby's blessing and helped teach me some valuable parenting tips. Unfortunately Baby continues to have a crying problem (some may say it is my problem), despite my best efforts at implementing her, and others', advice.
She did help me determine that there is something wrong with Baby...this type of crying is not normal--it literally will last for hours and it is extremely vehement. His face turns bright red and he thrashes his arms and legs. Nothing helps and nothing works to stop the crying. It is frustrating to not have experience behind me as a parent. I had a feeling there might be something wrong but since there was nothing obvious, besides the crying, I kept blaming my inexperience. I have never been around babies, I avoided them growing up. I didn't have that typical female draw toward them (there was this church song for young women when I was growing up that said, 'Whenever I see a baby cry, my heart reaches out...' Yeah, my heart and mind ran away...fast). In fact, the only babies I have liked, in my life, include my own baby and my sister's children.
So I made an appointment with the pediatrician. He pretty much did nothing except give me a handout which informed me of the following: babies get cold, babies get hungry, babies get bored, babies get tired, and babies get over-stimulated. The handout also included a list of books I can read to help me learn how to calm my baby. He didn't stick around long enough for me to tell him I have already read three of the listed books. You can imagine my frustration. Taking things into my own hands, I changed his formula (would any of this be happening if I breast fed?) and my sister's friend showed me a stomach massage that is the only thing, thus far, that will even take the edge off. I should note at this point that he is crying at the top of his lungs in his room next door to my computer and has been for the last two hours. Should I mention to my pediatrician I swaddled him twice, fed him, changed him, played with him, distracted him, rocked him to a semi-sleep, and turned out the lights?
How could I forget? There is one more thing that takes the edge off, the baby front carrier my book club gave me as a baby gift. The kid loves it. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love it because baby is happy in it. I hate it because wearing it is like a continuation of pregnancy minus the convenience of the placenta feeding him and the amniotic fluid caring for his bathroom needs.
My sister and I have hypothesized, and everyday the evidence adds up more, that Baby has acid-reflux. Moreover, this is probably why he likes the front carrier, other than the obvious reason is that he is reminded of his perfect prior home in utero, it keeps him completely upright--a task not otherwise possible at this stage of his development.
A college friend once said, "Don't get mad, go shopping." And after that unhelpful doctor visit I took Baby to the Gateway, in the front carrier mind you, and enjoyed a wonderful day shopping. He loved being in the carrier and I loved being in the GAP.
***
Later that week my sister and I painted one of my basement walls red. It turned out fabulous.
And then more family came into town making my house full. We all chipped in on household chores and cooking Saturday night in preparation for the blessing. Funny thing is, we couldn't hold it at church the following day because we accidentally planned it on the same day as Stake Conference. Oops, I swear I wasn't trying to get out of Stake Conference this time. It turned out just as L wanted, however, at home. All the family and many friends came to support us and Baby. I think it was the first time our entire family was in one place at once--no one away on missions or away on sports trips or too busy with school/work.
I dressed Baby in this adorable white outfit I paid way too much for for 15 minutes of use. Baby will hate it and hate me, when he is old enough to care, for making him wear it...but that's what Mommies get to do. We served Hawaiian haystacks (later my Hawaiian uncle informed me there is nothing "Hawaiian" about the meal), an assortment of salads, and Strawberry Shortcake. It was a big hit, inauthentic as it was.
There is something special about your baby being blessed by your husband and family members. Of course I cried. And Baby did too if you were wondering. Remember? He ALWAYS cries.
And then more family came into town making my house full. We all chipped in on household chores and cooking Saturday night in preparation for the blessing. Funny thing is, we couldn't hold it at church the following day because we accidentally planned it on the same day as Stake Conference. Oops, I swear I wasn't trying to get out of Stake Conference this time. It turned out just as L wanted, however, at home. All the family and many friends came to support us and Baby. I think it was the first time our entire family was in one place at once--no one away on missions or away on sports trips or too busy with school/work.
I dressed Baby in this adorable white outfit I paid way too much for for 15 minutes of use. Baby will hate it and hate me, when he is old enough to care, for making him wear it...but that's what Mommies get to do. We served Hawaiian haystacks (later my Hawaiian uncle informed me there is nothing "Hawaiian" about the meal), an assortment of salads, and Strawberry Shortcake. It was a big hit, inauthentic as it was.
There is something special about your baby being blessed by your husband and family members. Of course I cried. And Baby did too if you were wondering. Remember? He ALWAYS cries.
***
Then it was off to Oregon. We stayed with my parents and Baby got to sleep in the cradle I slept in as a baby. He actually really like it and slept well.
My sister's baby came down with pink eye before they left Utah and thank goodness no one got it (except L's mom) but we all came down with a horrible cold the second the plane touched down.
So, here is one more thing that takes the edge off Baby's crying: airplanes/flying. I can't explain what doesn't make sense, okay...
We got to go to my favorite place on earth, so far. The Oregon Coast. So beautiful. The sun was shining and it was just a little bit windy. I wrapped Baby in this beautiful baby coat my sister loaned to us which looks like a polar bear. I couldn't stop snapping pictures of him. We just had to stop in at Tillamook Cheese Factory to watch the production and sample cheese and ice cream. If you have never eaten Tillamook Cheese you need to stop reading and run to the nearest grocery store right now. We purchased Baby a cow stuffed animal, the same one we bought his cousin three years ago.
Saturday was a very special day for my family. We were able to go to the Portland Temple to see my sister's new baby sealed to their family. I feel honored to have been in attendance. Especially since there was some drama around being admitted; I'd lost my temple recommend!
Sunday was another very special day. We were able to attend my sister's new baby's blessing. The baby's birth mother was in attendance and it was an honor to meet her.
My sister's baby came down with pink eye before they left Utah and thank goodness no one got it (except L's mom) but we all came down with a horrible cold the second the plane touched down.
So, here is one more thing that takes the edge off Baby's crying: airplanes/flying. I can't explain what doesn't make sense, okay...
We got to go to my favorite place on earth, so far. The Oregon Coast. So beautiful. The sun was shining and it was just a little bit windy. I wrapped Baby in this beautiful baby coat my sister loaned to us which looks like a polar bear. I couldn't stop snapping pictures of him. We just had to stop in at Tillamook Cheese Factory to watch the production and sample cheese and ice cream. If you have never eaten Tillamook Cheese you need to stop reading and run to the nearest grocery store right now. We purchased Baby a cow stuffed animal, the same one we bought his cousin three years ago.
Saturday was a very special day for my family. We were able to go to the Portland Temple to see my sister's new baby sealed to their family. I feel honored to have been in attendance. Especially since there was some drama around being admitted; I'd lost my temple recommend!
Sunday was another very special day. We were able to attend my sister's new baby's blessing. The baby's birth mother was in attendance and it was an honor to meet her.
1 comment:
Hi M - this is whitney, La's friend from BYU. I know - just what you need, more advice. But my 2nd son has reflux and not even as bad as it sound like you and the baby are going through. Go to your doctor and request that you get an upper-GI scan for your son. Demand it if you really feel that's what he has. Its not pretty - my boy had one. They strap him to a board and stick a tube down his throat. Its like a 'cat' scan that watches how the fluid act in his body - if it comes up out of his stomach or whatever. But defiantly worth the pain all around if it brings a diagnosis. Plus allergies bring severe irritation inside a body without you seeing anything outside but crying. If your doc is just sending you away with pamphlets then get another doc. He/she should at least give you the name of an allergist who could help you. - Well there's the unasked for advice. I live in Davis county too and am unimpressed with the level of peds around here. I go to a place in Bountiful, which is a pain to drive too but worth having a doc that actually listens and gives treatment plans and options. Don't worry anything about formula vs breast milk. This same son also was weak on my 1/2 assed water bmilk and thrived on formula when I finally switched over. Good luck
Post a Comment