Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Whole Foods, Mac & Cheese, and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Hip is sick for the third time since we moved to Michigan. It's no wonder considering how stressed he has been over his/our life changes and the fact that every single one of his friends has been sick in the past three weeks. We've stayed indoors for the most part and did not go anywhere yesterday so he could heal and rest.

This morning, after a long night of Hip not sleeping much he seemed to be feeling quite a bit better. An hour after he woke up I asked him if he felt up to going to Whole Foods and I explained to him it is a grocery store. Hip loves to grocery shop and he quickly agreed this was something he would very much like to do today.

I spent the next hour or so doing some household chores and had forgotten about going to Whole Foods because it was raining quite hard and I figured I probably should not take Hip out in the rain. The rain here is like Oregon rain and even though I like the memories that come with it, I hate getting wet to do the simplest task like check the mail or take the garbage out.

Becoming impatient with my dilly-dallying Hip came to find me. We had the following conversation:

Hip: Mom, I'm sick and I need medicine.
Me: You don't have a fever anymore and so we'll wait to see if you need more medicine.
Hip: Mom, we need to go to Whole Foods.
Me: I'm not sure if we should go because it is raining and you've been sick.
Hip: We need to go to Whole Foods and buy Mac and Cheese.
Me: We have Mac and Cheese here and I don't think you would like the kind they sell.
Hip: I want to go to Whole Foods Mo-om.
Me: Well okay, go get ready to go.

I wanted to go to Whole Foods in the first place to get Red Raspberry Leaf Tea which helps "tone the uterus" and can help labor go quickly and smoothly supposedly, as all herbal remedies go.

When we got to Whole Foods Hip insisted we find some Mac and Cheese. So I promised him I would make him some for lunch, some we have at home already. At the herbal tea section, which was packed with all 10 patrons, I began my search. If you would like a hearty selection of herbal teas hit up your local Whole Foods, seriously. It took me 20 minutes to find it, scanning the shelves and shelves and shelves of tea. While Hip patiently, only because he is under the weather, waited he made a friend with another little girl who was maybe 4 years-old. After the toddler introductions were made this is the conversation:

Little Girl: I'm getting a snack. Do you want a snack?
Hip: Yes I do! Mo-om, I want a snack.
Me: That's just great.
Little Girl: You're cute. Are you cute?
Hip: Yep.
Little Girl: What do you want for a snack?
Hip: Mac and Cheese.
Little Girl, to me: You should get him a snack.
Me: Okay, I'll make sure to do that.

Five minutes later:

Store worker: Oh, your going to have your hands full soon. That is I hope soon.
Me: Yep, that's what I'm doing here (pointing to the only items in my cart, 2 boxes of tea).
Store worker: Oh?
Me: I'm trying to cheat nature.
Store worker: Oh (looking concerned).
Hip: Baby needs to come out!
And I laughed as I walked away realizing that my comment was truly offensive in a place like Whole Foods.

Walking the final few aisles of the store we came upon some samples: baguette, the best tortilla chips I've ever tasted and almost bought until I realized a small bag cost $7, apple cider, crackers and brie. Hip ate everything happily and loved the cheese, which was surprisingly sharp/spicy--and delicious--as bries go. I wondered if my monthly WIC cheese allotment would cover brie...and was happy that I was able to keep my promise to the little girl about getting Hip a snack.

***

Later in the day I returned a phone call to my health plan. They needed to do a pregnancy screening questionnaire over the phone with me and one of the questions was, "Is the father involved?"

Me: Yes
Lady: Do you feel he is supportive of you and your emotional needs?
Me, after a loooooooooooong pause: Well yes. I certainly have my complaints but I have made them VERY clear to him already.
Lady, laughing very hard: That's good!

Seriously, why do they ask questions like this? Can you really please a woman, let alone a pregnant woman in the emotional needs compartment? Especially if you are a male and are the pregnant woman's husband? Especially if you just moved your pregnant woman and child across the country resulting in selling her beloved home and leaving her lovely career and her dear friends? Especially if that cross-country move resulted in the emotional breakdown of the existing child? Especially if the woman had to move twice in said pregnancy? Especially if she is required to make new friends where there are few things she hates more than socializing? Especially if she is a therapist and emotional needs are a pretty important discussion point to her?

I could go on and on and on about needing to change doctors, accepting the destruction/damage of many of my belongings in the process of moving, and having to change my financial lifestyle so significantly that I can hardly recognize this new life as actually being mine...

BUT, I found my emotional-thought response to the question endearing because I no longer feel traumatized by any of it and I am glad I have the insight to know that I am emotionally needy at this point in life and that is my issue to work out, not anyone else's.

HOWEVER, I know L will read this and try and use the above paragraph against me in our next battle of the wills and so I will add this to deter him: there is a lot he can do to help the situation and I will continue to make those things VERY clear to him:)

***

P.S. You should have seen the meat selections at Whole Foods. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-F-U-L. Maybe someday...

And the cheeses were awesome too.

3 comments:

M said...

Sorry, but I'm laughing at your expense.

Unknown said...

Seriously?

HJ said...

My biggest emotion I felt just now after reading that was mmmmmm I'm hungry and want some yummy meat and cheese. Is that selfish of me? hahaha