We call it, "Being Resourceful."
The neighbors call it, "Curbside Specials."
As an outsider when you see things out on the curbside in Detroit you may think, "Oh, the family that lives there accidentally left that item there." Insiders know, however, that this is no accident and the item(s) are up for grabs. You just gotta get em before the trash collectors.
I used my extraordinary powers of convincing and negotiating to get L to pull up to the house, knock, and ask if it really was there for trash pick up. (L admitted later that his anxiety level was a ten doing this--mine would have only been a five)
Luck was with us, and sure enough the fire truck was ours to take! I've never seen L throw open the hatch back so quickly.
On closer examination the fire truck is indeed well worn and used. A quick trip to Mommy's car wash and then to Daddy's mechanic shop cleaned it up quite nicely, Hip says. I sheepishly admitted to how we happened upon the fire truck to the neighbors who in turn gave me high fives for getting an awesome deal. The one neighbor said her girls scouted it out first thing in the morning asking her, "Where did Hip get that fire truck? Can we go over and play with it?"
Later in the week I found a lawn spreader while on a walk. I was super tempted to haul it home to see if it worked but my better judgement (?) told me to keep walking.
2 comments:
Your "poor college student" stories make me feel better about my less than wealthy life.
You know there is a name for people who do what you did. It's called Freegans. I watched a show about people who dumpster dive. Poor people do it, but also people who don't like waste do it as well.
So don't consider yourself poor, consider yourself green!
I am so surprised about your respective anxiety levels. I would have never guessed about either of you. Mine would have been so high I could never have done it. NEVER.
Post a Comment