Monday, April 14, 2008

Mission Impossible


My life has one simple two-parter goal: 1) Do everything in my power to avoid Baby crying 2) Get Baby to stop crying as quickly as possible.

Currently I am failing miserably at both parts of this mission.

I find I am frustrated that even I cannot soothe Baby in a reasonable amount of time. We are going to be hated everywhere we go--don't worry, we will not be one of those couples who take their baby to the movies. Unfortunately, we are already one of those couples who has taken their infant to restaurants (even non-family friendly ones...hey, I deserve a decent meal whether or not I have a baby...right?!), the mall, and the library (horror of all horrors). And soon we will be one of those couples with a baby on an airplane and one of those couples whose baby cries throughout church services--oh wait, this was one of my motivations to have a baby, a valid excuse to sit in the foyer and not listen. Sweet. I guess even a crying baby has its perks.

2 comments:

R said...

You should know better than anyone that you need to let Baby cry it out. He is just conditioning you to respond immediately with attention. I'm with Dr. Phil on this one, put him in another room and let him cry unless you know something is wrong. You've just got to toughen up and let it go. It's hard. Plus, if you can't calm Baby, you can get frustrated with him and that's not good. Never punish him for crying; he doesn't know any better. And never shake a baby.

M said...

Is Baby crying because he wants to be held/has gas/is hungry/is tired? Unfortunately that's normal. All babies cry -- some more than others. :(

And then some babies have colic. They just cry... and nothing will calm them -- not even mommy. Mom said I cried nonstop for no reason. The good news is, most babies grow out of it much sooner than later (by around 3 months). And then they turn into monsters that get into everything. And talk back. And lie. And fight with their siblings. And interrupt. And attention-seek. Oh wait... that's my life.

I'm sorry! Pee-Wee wanted to be held for the first three months of his life. And I gave in. And he's happy as can be to be on his own a lot of the day now. So, who knows... Enjoy each moment (even the fussy ones) because he'll never be a newborn again. And when all else fails, put him in his crib for 10 minutes so you can have a moment of peace. There's no harm in that.