Saturday, February 9, 2008

Baby's First Concert

I can't believe I stood outside in a line for an hour and a half in freezing weather for a concert last night. I am sick and tired of sitting in an office chair for nine hours a day and than coming home each eventing to lay on a heating pad for six more hours, so when I was invited to go to MIKA's concert for free I found myself looking forward to something for the first time in months. Though standing there in the freezing cold and weaseling my way into restaurant's bathrooms (they all had signs that boldly threatened "FOR PATRONS ONLY") every twenty or so minutes wasn't really what I had in mind, it made for an exciting night...the first in a really really long time.

It was fun to use my 8.5 month pregnancy as a great excuse for lots of bad behavior: cutting in line, getting a good viewing position inside, having more room than is usually polite at a general admission concert, and shouting at the top of my lungs at the hostile lady behind us in line to SHUT UP!

If you are not familiar with MIKA, let me introduce you. MIKA is a band from the UK, lead singer from Lebanon and band members from various ethnic backgrounds. They have a Euro-vibe. That is, they can totally get away with being EMO without being annoying. The music is very light-hearted and carefree and if you sample a song or two you may be quite surprised and think, at first hearing, "Cheesy." But it totally grew on me and now I am definitely a fan--in fact, I had to talk myself out of buying a $40 MIKA shirt. MIKA is so popular in Europe that they are playing a 50,000 person venue on the 4th of July in Paris. Anyhoo, here is a link if you would like to check them out: http://www.mikasounds.com/uk.php

I think baby is a fan.

3 comments:

M said...

Yeah-we know and like Mika too. I think it was So You Think You Can Dance, right? -- where we first heard him.

G said...

Glad to see you are educating your child on good music. Jr. continues to amaze me with his musical tastes. Lately, he and I have been into James Brown.

J said...

I've never even heard of Mika, does that mean I'm out of the musical loop?