L and I traveled to Philadelphia last weekend for an interview with University of Pennsylvania (for Luke's graduate school). Though he is decided on Oakland University in Michigan, we thought it would be fun to have an excuse to travel to Philadelphia 1) to see the sights 2) to see what the oldest University in America is like 3) to eat an authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich 4) experience a very big city. We stayed in a high rise and didn't see the actual sun until the end of our trip when we traveled outside of the metro area...it was weird.
The Liberty Bell
Luke riding a monumental mouse
One of the things we liked a lot about Philadelphia was that it was a pedestrian-friendly city. It was quick and simple to walk around and find interesting things including Rocky!
I was not nearly as excited about Rocky as L was (is).
Rocky, I mean L, dancing around to "Gonna Fly Now" at the top of the stairs at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. We passed on the Picasso exhibit--we saw our fair share in Paris a few years ago.
It made me worry, for Rocky, that my feet are nearly as big as his are.
Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were debated/drafted)
I don't know if the picture captures all 13 tables (one for each colony) but here is the room where it all went down.
Our tour guide was incredibly enthusiastic which made our experience in one of the most historical significant places a little bit spiritual (I hope that saying that is not sacrilegious).
This is the actual chair in which George Washington sat as he presided over the constitutional debates.
Ben Franklin wondered, at a dire moment in the debates, whether the sun on this chair represented a rising or setting sun on the American Nation. After the delegates arrived at a compromise Ben Franklin felt assured it was a rising sun.
3 comments:
*sigh* the more posts like this the more real it is that you are leaving and very likely not coming back. *Sigh* ah well, I am WAY excited for you 2. Now you must decide Michigan or Pennsylvania. hmmmm
Yo, Adrian! Love the Rocky shots. Independence Hall - not bad. I felt the same spirit of reverence at the Alamo. And what's witht he crack inthe bell? They really ought to fix that.
That's one city I have always wanted to visit. Such history!
Post a Comment