I met with 1) my first private client 2) my first couple (oh, boy) for couples therapy ever. I was nervous, but that excited sort of nervous.
It went pretty well. As well as couples therapy first session goes, I guess. I was confident, I was experienced (so I hope they thought), I was an expert, and I had authority. I told her if there is any hope in the marriage working out she's gonna have to try and I told him that he has a million dollar debt (of trust) to repay his wife...starting now. He asked for feedback and I told him, "You sure about that because my feedback can be like a backhanded slap." He looked scared. I looked poised.
I told them, and now I tell you, one of the most important things I have ever said in therapy:
Emotionally sound children are raised with parents that have a healthy relationship with each other. Your children deserve your efforts here, don't they?
BTW, marriage does not define the healthy relationship. The healthy relationship can occur with separation and with divorce--it's just harder and requires more work and happens much less often.
My second private practice client is tomorrow 8:00 am. I'm dedicated aren't I? I haven't gotten up for an 8:00 session in I can't remember how long.
4 comments:
So, where do you meet with your private clients? Do you have your own space in a building with a sign that has your name on it? That would be cool.
Wow. I'm so proud of you for getting up and running AND completing your first appointment. AND for scheduling one for 8:00.
I'm curious about the same stuff as J, plus did you quit your other job? How did you get all these clients? And what's going on with the GRE or whatever it's called for Luke. Email us and let us know...
Congrats!
AAAAAAH!!! I knew it was coming, congrats and sooo cool!!!
Wow Myndi! Good luck with your private practice. Are you renting out an office or are you super brave (or stupid, depending on your opinion) and having them come to your house? And how are you advertising? Oh, the list of questions go on! I'm hoping to be in your same boat in less than a year!
Post a Comment