Thursday, March 5, 2009

Anecdotal Therapeutic Thursday: "Cluck You"


Without saying too much about my specialty (because it's a little awkward and I HATE answering questions about it) it usually involves treating adolescents.

So it's unusual that I see anyone under the age of ten.  Even more unusual, anyone under the age of seven.  Due to my compassionate heart, however, when a colleague hit me up to take a five year-old with some extreme circumstances I agreed.  

And I think he has the answer to all interpersonal problems, maybe even world peace.

Our most recent session he, with his mild speech delay, was explaining to me why he hit his older brother in the mouth earlier in the day:

Me:  I don't get it, I thought you were done with that sort of thing?
Him:  It cwas [older brother] stwole the pwaddo befo my game was done.
Me:  He stole your paddle?
Him:  Yeah, befo my game was done.
Me:  After your game?
Him:  Yeah.
Me:  It still doesn't make sense to me though.  Hitting someone in the mouth is a really mean thing to do.  Last time you were here you said it was wrong to hit.  
Him:  I fwogot.
Me:  Let's talk about things you can do instead of hitting to let someone know you are mad.
Him:  After thinking a bit.  I cwould tell my mom.
Me:  That's a great idea!  But what if she's not around?  What else could you do?
Him:  After some more thinking.  I gwess I cwould tell them cluck you.
Me:  What?
Him:  I cwould tell them cluck you.
Me:  What does that mean?
Him:  I can't say it.
Me:  Why?
Him: Whispering.  It's some-ting baaaad.
Me: Like a swear word?
Him: Yeah.
Me:  Oh.  I'm not sure that saying cluck you is a nice thing to do either.
Him:  My mom doesn't get mad.
Me:   And that's when I changed the subject. 

I've thought a lot about the expression, "Cluck you" since our session and I figure he is on to something.  When your boss writes you up, "Cluck you."  When a customer is rude to you, "Cluck you."  When you are overcharged, "Cluck you."  When you're asked to do something you'd rather not do, "Cluck you."

Thinking a bit deeper.  We all know the one-fingered salute which silently communicates "Cluck you"s counterpart...wondering what sort of gesture might go with a "Cluck you".  Maybe bobbing your head back and forth as you put your hands on your hips and flap them like non-functional wings.  You could even cluck.  

The point is, I just don't think I would get mad if someone said to me, "Cluck you."  I might be more willing to consider my actions that warranted a "Cluck you" and just maybe might change.`  

3 comments:

R said...

Why not; it's so Utah - the home of "Oh my heck!" among others.

You're such a trendsetter.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Perhaps I'll be teaching my kids this one ... it's a little easier to hear then our current "shut your cake hole." I wish I could get myself to care about which of all the various euphemisms for profanity are ok.

crazymamma said...

maybe you could teach your sister to teach my children "cluck you" instead of the "f" word!! hahahahaha ..did you get that email she sent you! hahahaha funny times..funny times...