Monday, October 6, 2008

It's Official


My resignation was announced at staff meeting today. I haven't decided if my last day will be Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve yet but I will be done for sure by January 1, 2009.
I'm pretty excited but worried and scared and sad too.
I am excited for the following reasons:
-No more neck strains due to nodding for nine hours per day (my colleague was called a bobble head the other day)
-No more packing Baby's diaper bag each Sunday night, inevitably I forget one crucial item each week and when the babysitter points it out I feel like the world's worst mother
-No more 10:30 pm bedtimes
-No more waking Baby up at 7:00 am
-No more fighting traffic
-No more snowy icy stressful commutes
-No more crisis phone calls
-No more stinky clients
-Free time (maybe this just exists in my imagination of what stay-at-home motherhood is)
-Naps
-Reading books
-A clean house
-Hobbies
-Grocery shopping outside of Saturdays and rush hour (between the hours of 5:30-6:30 pm)
-Attending Baby's well checks
-Administering to Baby's needs
-Feeding Baby how I want to feed him
-Knowing that Baby is as safe as I can make him
-The El.len Deg.eres Show
-Volunteering
-Cooking elaborate meals
I am worried and scared for the following reasons:
-The economy is bad and is this the best time to quit a job?
-I have had a job since I was 15 years-old
-I get bored and depressed very easily when I have the option of watching television all day every day (although, we did get Ti.vo the other day and that has dramatically increased my overall life satisfaction by at least 25%)
-When I get bored I like to spend money on shoes...a lot of money on shoes
-I am not convinced that I am cut out to be a stay-at-home mom
-I am most social at my job. I tend to be an introvert in other social environments
I am sad for this one reason: I love being a therapist. I knew I wanted to be a therapist when I read There's A Boy in the Girl's Bathroom in the fifth grade. I have worked hard to get here. I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love my clients. I really really love my clients. I am good at being a therapist.
As a result of helping many people find meaning in a dreary world and in dreary circumstances I have found more meaning, happiness, and fulfillment than I could have ever imagined for myself. I am proud of the therapist I have become and I am proud of the work I have done. Seeing that go is like walking away from Baby every morning at the baby sitter's...

5 comments:

crazymamma said...

oh i am soo happy for you to be able to be with little H! You will love this time with him! Just know that whenever you want, you can help with therapy for me trying to raise my two kids! hahahaha! especially today! i have had one of those days and i could really use your advise! And for goodness sake you get to watch ELLEN now..I love Ellen! me, you and m should plan a trip to one of her shows that would be a blast!

Ruth said...

wow. what a big step to take! you'll of course be an amazing stay-at-home-mom. but to ease the transition, have you thought of doing any part-time (like 1hr/wk) work? i think it's super cool that you can stay home though. sigh. i hope i can do the same one day.

p.s. is our fabulous supervisor freaking out that she's losing you and C?

M said...

When you were commenting on how much you love being a therapist, I was thinking exactly what you said in your last sentence. You had a tough, touch choice. And I hope you made the right one for you. I can't imagine walking away from a successful and hopeful career... but you're going to love being a SAHM. Being a SAHM is everything you're expecting plus more. It's all the good you listed and a lot of bad too. But much more good. I know you say you get depressed, but I promise you won't be bored. And I hope you find as great of friends as I have to help with any depression. Plus now you have more time to visit. :)

R said...

Wow, I'm a bit surprised but you need to do what is right for you and your family and we support you in that. You are a great therapist we all know you have gift. I hope you find a way to keep using it and positively affecting lives.

Allens, Inc. said...

What a blessing to have two such wonderful options. I was happy to quit my job when I had Jacob, but I didn't love my job. There are seasons for everything, and I bet you'll find you use your training EVERYWHERE. I'm the Prim. Pres. at the moment and we have two handicapped kids, one severely emotionally disturbed. Wish I had your background as I work with this little boy and help him feel comfortable with Primary. Your talents won't be wasted as a SAHM, your job description will just expand... Good luck and congrats!