Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Being A Client For A Change

Here is a link to a recent news story about a law enforcement training called Crisis Intervention Team I participate in twice yearly. The purpose of the training is to teach empathy to law enforcement so they can interact more appropriately with those suffering with mental illness in order to have non-violent outcomes and to link needy people to community supports and services. This program has had wonderful results across the nation with a reduction of arrests, a reduction of violence, and a reduction of inappropriate placements into jail.

Last year I was thrown to the ground and handcuffed during one of our scenarios. I began writhing on the ground not to resist but because the knee slammed into my back really hurt. As a result of my violent arrest I sustained injuries: a five inch scratch on my back which took weeks to heal (and scarred for months) and several scrapes and bruises. My eyes were opened to how law enforcement interacts with mentally ill community members (I wondered, who should we really be afraid of...?) and I was able to provide redirection and feedback about a more appropriate response and suggest conflict resolution techniques. Though not arrested this year, I was still able to teach the officers how to best react in high stress/chaotic situations for optimal outcomes. The officers said the skills they learned give them more confidence in the field. Now that's a community in which I want to live!

Sadly, I am blocked by a rafter in the part of the clip I am in.

1 comment:

M said...

That's pretty cool. Interesting story and a good training opportunity.