Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Day

This is the second time I've been sledding in my life; which makes sense knowing I grew up in the Willamette Valley, Oregon but not much sense knowing I lived on the Wasatch Front, Utah for 13 years.

The local weather authority predicted "the storm of the century" Monday evening, for Wednesday. Local schools and business announced their closures for the following day Tuesday. L's school canceled classes and so he got a day off. We decided to make the most of such a rare occurrence.

We started the day out by digging out of under approximately 10 inches of snow. Our city declared a "snow emergency". The neighborhood stood around outside and scratched our heads over why Michiganders were freaking out so much--storms like this happen in Utah and I was always expected at work/school the next day.

Then we went sledding. Hip was exhilarated to say the least. PT, not so much. It was windy, as it seems to be all of the time in Detroit winter, and even though I had him covered up the wind kept going through his blankets and he couldn't catch his breath (imagine what babies do, how they stop and swallow and stop breathing for a second, when you blow in their face). I ran, quite a distance and through a lot of snow, him back to the car and by the time we got there his lower lip/chin were blue. Once in shelter he started breathing normally again. PT stood for "Poor Thing" that part of the day.

We had lunch at McDonald's and made it home in time to change our clothes, pop some corn and head off to the dollar theatre to watch "Megamind." Hip brought his best friend from the neighborhood and they discussed important matters on the ride there: music, big houses, cars, and construction equipment. PT had a blow out in the middle of the show and there was a homeless man snoring and stinking the place up.

By the time we got home and cleaned up from our day (and L shoveled the driveway again) we were exhausted. But it was that happy kind of exhaustion when you know you just had an one-of-a-kind day; a day you always hope for but rarely get.

By the way, it was not the storm of the century--not even in the top 25 apparently.

And, today the weather authority predicted 2-3 inches of snow and we got 8-10! Uh, where's the disaster/emergency talk now? There was so much snow, in fact, the wise-guy neighbors buried L's car which was parked on the street. L retaliated by tackling them both. I think they are all acting out because of self-conscious feelings related to this picture published in the news:


P.S. "Megamind" is super funny and clever. I loved it.

2 comments:

R said...

Sounds like a great day. Can't believe you only went sledding once before. Was that the time you went off the round and got banged up? Snow is magical to kids Hip's age.

J said...

Sounds fun. I went sledding and camping with the scouts this last weekend but it ended quickly after one of our boys started urinating blood. Got to be careful when sledding.